Saturday, 24 October 2015

Star Designer: ASTRID MACLEAN

Hey there! 

I have invited a very special artist to share her work with us today! She has been a wonderful inspiration to me since I started blogging and today I'd like to say a BIG thank you to my dear bloggy friend Astrid Maclean for agreeing to being here with us today. A big thank you for bringing joy to others through her gorgeous art and her sweet blog posts. 


Astrid shares her work via her lovely blog Astrid's Artistic Efforts. When I visited her blog for the first time it was like discovering a big pot of gold! There is so much creative goodness it will leave you speechless and hungry for more! I would urge you to visit and follow Astrid's blog. You won't regret. 

I fell in love with Astrid's style immediately, because she creates the most amazing textures and her colour combinations are out of this world. Have you seen her recent work for the Shimmerz Design team? Oh my, they have made such a good choice when they asked Astrid to design for them. Keep up the good work, Astrid! We love you and your talent! x

We have a lovely interview here for you so enjoy: 

What inspires you most to create? / Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration comes from many different places, nature, other artists, things I see on Pinterest to name but a few.

Do you pre plan your pieces, or are they often the result of just 'going with the flow'?
I hardly ever pre-plan my pieces, I may have a vague idea in my head, or just stumble upon a substrate I think I would like to use, and then I just explore to see what happens. Usually things turn out totally differently from what I might have had in my head anyway.

What is your favourite medium to work with?
I don’t think I have just one favourite medium, but I can pretty much guarantee that Distress products, gesso and textures pastes are always to hand on my craft desk.

Do you have a tool which you couldn't live without?
I could not live without my ink blending tools, I specially love the new small size round ones from Ranger.

What's your craft space like?
My craft space is a corner in a spare room, which we call our study. I share it with my hubby of 42 years, and I have to say, he is pretty tolerant of my mess and ever-expanding drawers full of stash and overflowing piles on the floor. Definitely not a space to show off; I always dream of a dedicated tidy craft room with lots of space….

Do you have a favourite colour combo?
I don’t think I have a favourite combo, but most of my creations have brown on them somewhere. Depending on the time of year and/or my mood, it will be combined with blues, greens or warmer tones.

What is your favourite creation to date?
I find this one impossible to answer, I have absolutely no idea, I like some of my creations or parts of them, and others are failures. For me art is all about the creative process, once it’s done I usually lose interest…..

Astrid kindly made something special for us... 


How amazing is this piece? Fancy finding out a little more on how this was created? Hop over to Astrid's blog HERE and read more about the creative process! We absolutely love it, Astrid! THANK YOU very much for sharing this beauty with us and for all your support. Lots of love! x

Thank you, dear friend, for stopping by today! 

Hugs, 

Ingrid xxx

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous, what a fantastic altered wooden frame, great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often pop into Astrids blog - I think she is an awesome talent! I love everything she does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post to read about your creativity Astrid. Must check out your tutorial.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to have you Astrid with us for a star designer feature, your creations are always beautiful to look at and the one you've done for us is just stunning :)
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful creation by Astrid and lovely to hear more about her creative background and processes.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful post! Thanks for the guest designer posts. I really love reading this. Such a fantastic project Astrid! Love everything about it. - Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful creation Astrid as shared with all of us. So nice to learn a little bit more about such a talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful to read this interview with Astrid, I have admired her amazing talent since discovering her blog and am always inspired by her. Thanks so much for featuring her here at Mixed Media World! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely enjoyed reading Astrid's answers- how delightful and some answers I never would have thought from her- just goes to show you!!
    Wonderful triptych and as always Astrid is full of inspiration!
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lenjoyed to read the interview from Astrid! I am in awe of her amazing and unique art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bite late commenting.. but it's never too late I think :)
    A very lovely portrait of a great lady. I don't know you well Astrid (it's hard to follow everyone), but your art is amazing!!! This particular make is stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. je connais Astrid ;-) et j'adore son travail !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post. thanks for the shared with us. dyed yarn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! x