Sunday, 29 March 2015

Start Designer #1: SETH APTER

Hi there!

Welcome back! If you are here reading this you really are in the right place at the right time!

I had this crazy idea... it happens to me sometime :) ... this one was quite special though.. I see artists, I mean real artists out there, that we all look up to, artists and crafters that inspire us in one way or another, sharing their ideas, their techniques, passing on their knowledge, encouraging us to be equally as creative and passionate about art... it's time to give back to these fabulous talented people and invite them to share their work not only in galleries at at exhibitions, but also directly with you, bloggers, crafters and artists out there, the massive hobby and art community that we all represent!

My dear DT members and I enjoy sharing our makes with you and invite you to put some work into it and enter our challenges. We love to see your work, how your creative minds work and how you put it to practice. We have so many wonderful entries for our 'Anything Goes' challenge already and there is still plenty of time to play! I am so glad that you are having fun with this... that's all that is about!

Today we ask you to join us to do nothing but sit back and feel inspired! I don't think there is a real need for an introduction as such, because you probably know our first Star Designer already... if you are a newbie though I would like to take this opportunity to introduce the most wonderful mixed media artist, Seth Apter.


Sept Apter is a wonderful and a very talented mixed media artist who brings inspiration to us all via his wonderful blog The Altered Page  which is a great source of artful inspiration, information about expos and workshops, links to more awesome artists as well as various products and publications. Please take time to explore Seth's website. I'm confident you will enjoy the browse. 

If you are fortunate enough to live in or near New York in the US, you could see Seth Apter's work displayed at The Art Expo in New York this April 2015! I personally wish I could visit and admire his work up close. Seth is the author of The Pulse of Mixed Media and The Mixed-Media Artist books, has a range of his stencils that are available for purchase too... absolutely fabulous achievement all around. 

Seth very kindly agreed to share a few photos of his recent work with us here today! I feel extremely honoured and fortunate to be able to feature his work here... 


Chemistry 2015

Crossing the Threshold 2015

Brothers in Arms 2015

Hello everybody. My name is Seth Apter and I am a mixed media artist from New York City. I was thrilled to be asked by Ingrid to be a part of her wonderful new site and to share my work with you. The two words that best describe my style are layered and textured -- characteristics that I try to achieve regardless of the project I am creating. I work in a variety of medium, including book arts, painting, found object assemblage, collage and journaling. The pieces that I am showing here today blend many of these areas into one. Each of these artworks includes hand painted backgrounds, layered with gesso, acrylic paint and inks. Collaged over the surface are a series of found objects and altered embellishments. Each includes a vintage tintype photograph, most likely from the late 19th Century. I love to take objects that already have a history and create a completely new story.


How gorgeous are these artworks! The colours, textures and the vintage feel.. out of this world! I said to Seth that I love grungy, aged and worn elements because they make me think they have a story to tell and that Seth's art is just like that. Would you agree? 
Many thanks to Seth Apter for all the inspiration he provides, all the hard work he puts into making accessible to us and being a good sport and agreeing to be here today with us! Thank you, you really are a star!!

Dear friends, visitors, followers and all crafty souls out there, I hope you are feeling well and truly inspired today. We will be back with another challenge for you on Sunday 12th April so do come back and join the fun! We will announce our winner who will be invited to guest design for us at the same time so keep an eye out ;) I will also feature another wonderful Star Designer on 3rd May so that's definitely something to look forward to, right?! 

That's all for now. Thank you very much for visiting, I hope you enjoyed my post today. I shall look forward to reading your comments ;) 

Hugs, 

Ingrid xxx

23 comments:

  1. The art of Seth is amazing....I will never reach that stage... :) but I can learn a little .xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a newbie I had never heard of Seth, thank you for opening up my eyes to such an amazing artist. I'm definitely feeling inspired :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing work by a talented artist! I will definitely be checking out more of Seth's work! Thanks for all the inspiration! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Stunning and so inspiring! Thank you Ingrid for showcasing such an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great appearance of a great artist! Thanks for the great post and idea! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ingrid,
    It was wonderful to see Seth here and his new work, this is a great post.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post Ingrid and thank you to Seth for sharing his amazing creations and telling us a little about his process. So many talented folks out there in blogland, every one with something wonderful to share! Thanks again xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post and awesome treat with Mr. Apter's pieces. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your textures and colors are amazing, Seth! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was first introduced to Seth's work back in June 2013 when I participated in his Buried Treasure Collaborative Art Project and have been smitten with his work ever since. I loved reading the wonderful post and seeing the amazing pieces shown here today. Truly inspirational and so glad I stumbled in.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for introducing Seth, his work is new to me and I am delighted to see his gorgeous mixed media work showcased here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love Seth - his work and him. He is so generous and kind. His work is amazing and so is he!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Seth and his work. Very awesome of you to feature him! These pieces are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seth sent me here - wonderful blog, I will return.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for all your wonderful comments. I'm so glad that you enjoyed Seth's work and the post about such a wonderful artist. Al the best! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ingrid, it's my first post here and wanted to thank you for introducing us to Seth Apter. I'm pretty much a newbie in the craft world, I don't do mixed media yet but hope too one day. For now I really enjoy discovering other people's work (your's included!). Seth's art is wonderful! I'll be sure to check out more of his work. Thanks again, Nathalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful blog you have created. Thanks for sharing your love of art and artists with us. Seth is great and these new works are a feast for the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this with us. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ingrid!! What a special surprise this was- you were right!! Thanks so much for sharing Seth here- I adore his art and have been fortunate to take a class with him- he is just as awesome in person as one would expect- great teacher,great personality!!
    Thank you again Ingrid-Well done! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Seth! Thanks for the showcase, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful such inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this is wonderful industrial artwork!! Thanks for sharing Ingrid! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fabulous inspiration from Seth! Thank you for sharing this with us, Ingrid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! x